Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, July 3, 2011

Info Post
All Photos:  Alan Mercer  Lighting:  Eric V.

Danny Trejo has been a magical presence in my life since the day I met him.  He made me feel like I was one of the family immediately.  Since he is the first famous person I ever photographed he obviously helped start my career and because he is such a loving and supportive friend he has remained very special to me.  Here's a little background information about one of the coolest and most inspirational people to walk on the earth!

A child drug addict and criminal, Danny Trejo was in and out of jail for 11 years. While serving time in San Quentin, he won the lightweight and welterweight boxing titles. Imprisoned for armed robbery and drug offenses, he successfully completed a 12-step rehabilitation program that changed his life.
 
While speaking at a Cocaine Anonymous meeting in 1985, Danny met a young man who later called him for support. Danny went to meet him at what turned out to be the set of 'Runaway Train' in 1985. Danny was immediately offered a role as a convict extra, probably because of his tough tattooed appearance. Also on the set was the screenwriter Eddie Bunker, who did time with Danny in San Quentin. Remembering Danny's boxing skills, Mr. Bunker offered him $350 per day to train the actors for a boxing match. Director Audrey Konchalovskiy saw Danny training Eric Roberts and immediately offered him a featured role as Roberts' opponent in the film. Danny has subsequently appeared in many other films, usually as a tough criminal or villain. 

Since then, Danny has become a prolific actor in both films and television, acting alongside some of Hollywood's most famous actors, including Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Nicolas Cage, George Clooney, Robert De Niro, Harrison Ford, Val Kilmer, Charles Bronson and Antonio Banderas.

Danny has often appeared in five or more movies per year in various genres. Major releases in which he has acted include 'Machete,' 'Blood In Blood Out' 'Animal Factory,' 'Bubble Boy' 'Anacanda,' 'Marked For Death,' 'xXx,' 'Desperado,' 'Once Upon A Time In Mexico' 'Heat,' 'From Dusk Till Dawn,' 'Con Air,' 'Six Days Seven Nights,' 'Spy Kids,' 'The Replacement Killers' 'Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy,' 'Predators,' 'Urban Justice,' 'The Devil's Rejects,' 'Valley Of Angels,' 'Delta Farce,' 'Grindhouse,' 'Rob Zombie's Halloween,' and Snoop Dog's 'Hood Of Horror.'  The award-winning independent film, 'CHAMPION' was released in 2005, documenting Trejo's life. It features Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Steve Buscemi and Robert Rodriguez.

Danny has said that he is amazed when he walks the streets where he used to commit crimes and children ask him for autographs. He also pointed out that he often chooses to play bad guys to teach younger audiences that bad guys often die or go to prison, and that one should try to live a decent life.  Danny often speaks in front of youth groups and at colleges and encourages young people to avoid making the mistakes he did while growing up.


DT:  We met on Spy Kids didn't we?

AM:  Yes it's been twelve years!  Now you have starred in a number one movie! 

DT:  It's unreal to me.

AM:  Now you never stop working!

DT:  You talk about full circle.  When I helped that kid on 'Runaway Train' I got a job in the movies, got SAG the first time I was ever on a set.  My whole life changed.  I thought it was cool to be 'Inmate Number One' my whole life.

AM:  How long were you Inmate Number One?

DT:   For five years I only played 'Inmate Number One.'  Then I finally got one line in 'Death Wish 4' starring Charles Bronson.  That was another life changing experience again.  All of a sudden now I'm getting small but excellent parts with dialogue and my characters started having a name. 

AM:  How did 'Machete come about?

DT:  Robert Rodriquez and I had talked about doing this movie for seventeen years.  It seemed like it was just a fun conversation then we did the fake trailer for 'Grindhouse.'  The response was so strong that people were getting tattoos of Machete on their backs. 

AM:  How did that affect your ego?

DT:  I had to step back and realize they were into Machete and not me.  If you're not careful your mind will really start to make you think you are something! 

AM:  How do you combat that kind of challenge?

DT:  You fight it.  I go to a construction site and stand there for a while.  I say to myself, "This is you.  That Mexican over there is YOU.  The guy getting screamed at by his boss is YOU."

AM:  That brings you back down to earth I bet.

DT:  Then I start thinking what are my alternatives to the entertainment industry.  I can either point a gun at someone and say, "Give me your money" or I can say, "Do you want fries with that?"  What else can I do?   I treat my job with respect.  I'm working on The 'Sons of Anarchy' right now and it's great! 

AM:  Do you enjoy TV or Movies more?

DT:  Movies and TV are so different.  On a movie set the writer is not so respected.  Once you buy a script you can change anything you want.  Often when I get a movie script I will change the dialogue to fit me better.  When I read it, the director always loves it.  The writer is king on TV.  I have to say everything exactly as it is written and if I don't there is a big discussion.

AM:  That does sound more difficult.

DT:  I've had to get used to that working on these episodes.  I understand that it's theirs and not mine so I will absolutely do as they want.  That is one of the secrets to me being where I'm at right now.  I have always shown up, I know my lines, I don't bump into the furniture, I'm easy to work with.  Eddie Bunker told me years ago that I was going to have to show people immediately that I don't bite because of my looks. 

AM:  If anyone watches all your movie parts they are going to think you are more intimidating.  I guess that can work in your favor.

DT:  People always complain about the paparazzi.  They have always been cool with me.  They always ask me if they can take a picture. 

AM:  I'm sure they don't want to be on the other side of your anger!

DT:  (Laughing)

AM: Some actors just play themselves so if that's you then I wouldn't want to get you angry!!!  They don't want to mess with you!  (Laughing)

DT:  What I have always found funny is, Hollywood wants guys who can ACT tough, they don't want tough guys.  The bad boys of Hollywood are girls to me.  I take it with a grain of salt when I work with them.  That's their shtick.  They always treat me with respect.

AM:  I like how all the Rappers and Urban Artists really love you.

DT:  They will stand up when I come into a room.  (laughing)  A lot of them try and portray guys that have been to the joint, really hard guys.  I think it's cute when they talk about how they grew up on the streets and I want to tell them that Broadway two shows a night doesn't count!  It's none of my business.

AM:  What do you think was the turning point for your career to get so hot?

DT:  I honestly believe it is hard work and perseverance and then 'Machete.'

AM:  It could be that you're a really good actor as well.  Everybody loves 'SherryBaby' with you and Maggie Gyllenhaal.  You really got a chance to act.

DT:  I really didn't want to do that movie.  It was so dramatic.

AM: Did you not want to have to act that much?

DT:  Well I always thought I was acting, but the movie with Maggie really got me in touch with some heavy stuff.  I had to play a guy who helps this girl.  It isn't my usual character.  There are some heavy scenes in this film.  It's a hell of a movie!

AM:  Were you afraid you wouldn't be good in it or did you just not want to go there emotionally?

DT:  It just didn't seem like fun.  I am supposed to feel sorry for this girl and help her.  The director, Laurie Collyer really helped me get the part right when she told me to think about my own daughter in this situation.  I almost busted into tears right there.  When we did the scene almost everybody cried.  I didn't like having to go there.  It did show me what real actors do. 

AM:  Did you think you had that ability inside yourself?

DT:  I always felt like I could do anything.  It didn't matter what it was, just let me do it.  That movie went all over the world.  I even went to Prague with that movie. 

AM:  How many films have you been in now?

DT:  Over two hundred. 

AM:  I bet you're going to get some kind of recognition.

DT:  Just for being in so many films!

AM:  And for being good in all of them. 

DT:  Eddie Bunker once told me that the whole world can think you're a movie star but you can't.  It's just my job.

AM:  When I first met you people would recognize you but nobody knew your name and now everyone knows your name.

DT:  What blows my mind is I'll be driving with shades, a hat and tinted windows and I'll hear beep, beep, beep and the car next to me will be waving and saying hi! (laughing)  How do they recognize me?  My Mom feels the difference too.  They tease her at the market.

AM:  How is your son Gilbert doing?

DT:  He is great.  Gilbert is producing, directing and starring in his own film.  He's just about ready to go.  Everyone is doing him favors.  Even though it was hard with his name being Trejo he really went about this on his own.  He met Harrison Ford's son and I did a film with Harrison years ago, so we know him.  Michele Rodriguez is going to be in the movie too.

AM:  Don't you have to travel more than you used to for work? 

DT:  Unfortunately Schwarzenegger really messed up the movie business in Los Angeles.  You have to remember that he never made a low budget movie.  He didn't care about the little guy and he never has. 

AM:  I think it's great that you are elevating Latinos in the business.  It seems like it is so difficult.

DT:  I'm doing a film now called 'Strike One.' I'm working with a fifteen year old actor named Johnny Ortiz who got a write up in the paper and he said he was so honored to work with an actor like Danny Trejo. 

AM:  You are the man now.  You've earned this coveted position and place of honor.

DT:  I'm still not going to wear sweaters with letters on them.

AM:  Are you going to make more films with Robert Rodriguez?

DT:  Yes, we are going to film 'Machete 2.'  He's writing the script now. 

AM:  One last question Danny.  Did you ever think you would be in a Muppet Movie?

DT:  (Laughing)  It's funny because I always loved the two cranky old guys in the balcony.  I had to learn the song.  I'm driving around with my loud sound system playing that song.  The Muppets are in jail and I'm in jail with them and they are told they are being released and I yell out, "I'm a Muppet!"



  

0 comments: