Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday, July 10, 2011

Info Post
All Photos:  Alan Mercer  Hair: Leverne Tate  Make-up:  Rudy Calvo 


My friend Rudy Calvo introduced me to Designer Gary Allen when we were doing a photo shoot for his latest designs. As you can see Gary is a very talented designer using string and rope to create a one-of-a-kind sexy, somewhat see-through dresses.

Gary has worked at many creative projects throughout his life.  He is a recording artist, a fully employed Chef to the Stars, and one of the very first Los Angeles based Male Models.   

He just had a fashion show in downtown Los Angeles premiering the dresses shown here and many more.  Our model is singer Claire Demorest.



AM:  Why don't you give me a little background information Gary?

GA:  I am one of the very first male models from Los Angeles. I started out in the early 70's as one of the original Soul Train dancers.  I did finally decide to pursue my career as a model so I moved to New York. 

AM:  Did you enjoy living in New York?

GA:  I had a great and magical time living on Park Avenue.  I had these great Godparents and my Mother was one of the first female Black models in Los Angeles.  She was one of the few people who was actually working.  I felt the vibe and knew that I would be working in fashion.

AM:  I know you have been a Chef too....

GA:  I was Elton John's Chef.


AM:  Now how do you go from being a model and designer to being Elton John's Chef?

GA:  I got some financing so I got a loft in Hollywood.  Then something went wrong and I lost the financing.  The people who were my business managers packed up all my stuff and moved to Hawaii when I was in Cancun.  They took my portfolio and all my supplies.  Out of frustration I said I was through with fashion and moving on to something else. 

AM:  Did you go to Chef school?

GA:  I'm really just a cook because I haven't been formally trained, but I cook like a Chef.

AM:  How did you learn to cook so well?

GA:  I first learned to cook from my Grandmother, then I made it a point to learn indigenous recipes and techniques wherever I traveled. 

AM:  How did Elton John learn about you?

GA:  It's all coincidence.  At one point I had a best friend who worked for (Super Manger) Sandy Gallin in his Malibu home.  I did several dinners at Sandy's.  He would hire me to come in whenever he wanted Soul food!  I got to cook for Patti LaBelle who Sandy managed at the time.  That's how I met Rudy Calvo.  It was a great experience cooking for Patti and she loved it!

AM:  Did you cook for anyone else that we know?

GA:  I was Frank Zappa's Chef as well.  I'm the one who got fired for using an entire pound of butter in one day.  Also add to the list that Gayle Zappa was furious that I bought and served Wolfgang Puck pizza at Diva's birthday dinner.  Not only that, I smuggled Frank some Louisiana hot links.  My last day of work Frank took me in his studio and played me his recording of Jimi Hendryx songs for a tribute album.

AM:  Did you get tired of being a Chef?

GA:  No, I just moved to Japan.  I got a great job in Tokyo I had been negotiating for a long time.  It all led up to a crescendo and they said OK let's go.

AM:  What were you doing in Tokyo?

GA:  I was being a fashion designer again but I was also working as a model and performance artist doing my show in clubs with elaborate costumes and make-up, naturally leading me to design.  I must say I've lived my life like a working holiday.

AM:  How did you end up working with Billy Idol?

GA:  My DJ friend from LA saw my Billy Idol records.  He said, "I see you're into Billy Idol."  I said, "Yes, sure I am."  He had his new record at the time.  When the record was finished playing I knew it was time to go home.  I'm not kidding.  I came back to LA and within six months I had an exclusive contract with Billy Idol to design his stage costumes. 

AM:  When was this?

GA:   This was the end of the 80's.  I changed his look from torn T-shirts to wearing suede and laced up leather pants.  That look is a staple in Rock n' Roll now.  We worked together for three years and I changed his whole image.  



AM:  Have you just been designing since then?

GA:  I wouldn't say just designing.  I'm also a recording artist.  I'm working on my new record now.  I have fifteen songs ready and I'm waiting for Flea (from the Red Hot Chili Peppers) to come and play bass.

AM:  How do you describe your latest designs?

GA:  I'll tell you the technique that I developed.  I weave, knott and tie string.  I start on a manaquin.

AM:  You don't have a pattern for these?

GA:  No, it's all in my mind.  I'm blessed.  No store or buyers have seen these designs yet. 

AM:  What's your ultimnate goal?

GA:  I don't project that far in the future.  There's no way to know.  I just want to work and create fabulous things and live my life to it's fullest. 


The man himself Gary Allen

0 comments: